Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:23:36 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "David Gilbert" <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "frag-anyways" knob.

Hi,

Is your problem related to the PPPoE bug that some people face where windows
machine behind a NAT FreeBSD box seem to not be able to reach some web sites
but do fine with others ?

I have a friend who has that exact problem, all the packets get out no
problem, but some don't come back because they are too big and the telco
silently drops them.

The easy fix is to set the MTU for windows to be something smaller than the
MTU of the PPPoE link (somewhere around 1400). This has the effect of
setting the MSS option in outbound TCP packets to something that the PPPoE
link can handle. The server then honors that value and no fragmentation
occurs.

I am working on a patch for natd/libalias that modifies the MSS option for
outbound TCP packets and sets that to a value acceptable for the PPPoE link.
This means that you don't have to temper with the configuration of the
machines on the local network and that the remote sites know what MTU you
can handle (at the telco end). This is a hack in as much as the behaviour of
some routers that you can't control is broken (not sending back the need
frag indication or filtering them), but I believe that it should work.

I am currently testing the hack at my friends place, once I get it working
I'll submit the patch. Let me know if you want to use it.

Patrick.