Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:00:39 -0500
From:      "James Housley" <housley@pr-comm.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <housley@pr-comm.com>
Subject:   PROBLEMS with 4.3-BETA and dump

A couple of days ago, after I started tracking 4.3 release canidates, my
"main" machine started failing to backup with amanda.  Amanda runs on that
machine as the server.  But it was failing from timeout on estimate.  The
first thing I did was backup the "inherite nodump flag", but that made no
change.  Most mornings I have been updating my CVS tree at about 5:30 EST.

On a build from March 14:
dump 0hsf 0 1048576 - /dev/ad0s1f took 38 minutes to reach the point for the
"DUMP: estimate ......." message.

This morning I did:
cvs -q update -rRELENG_4 -D "16 days ago"
make world kernel
reboot
dump 0hsf 0 1048576 - /dev/ad0s1f took 9 seconds to reach the point for the
"DUMP: estimate ...... " message

Right now I am in the middle of a build world from:
cvs -q update -rRELENG_4 -D "8 days ago"

I have a similar machine that isn't having problems, but it's disks are very
different.

I will keep more post as I narrow the date down.

Jim

PS.  I hope this comes throught okay because sendmail isn't working
correctly right now, but that will be fixed once I bring the system back
upto date.

PPS.  Please CC answers back to me cause I may not beable to read the list
mail.