Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 21:31:35 -0500
From:      David Loszewski <drlski@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with startup, need help ASAP

I'm having a problem where I just added another harddrive.  The only
problem is that I think I named the drive wrong in fstab.  I named it as
/dev/da3s1e but when I try to boot the machine up it comes up saying

/dev/da3s1e: CANNOT READ: BLK 16
/dev/da3s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
        /dev/da3s1e (/homeserv3)
Automatic file system check failed...help!
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

if I hit return that brings me into single-user mode I think but none of
the drives are mounted so I don't have any commands like the vi command
or ee command to edit the fstab file.  What is the file supposed to look
like in the fstab and how would I edit it if I can't edit it?

Dave