Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:38:34 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Wouter van Rooij <aentgood@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buldworld

Wouter van Rooij wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Yesterday evening I've runned a make buildworld, after a cvsup.
>Unfortunately my system hang totally tomorrow. That is when the problems began.
>When I'm booting, the system reboots every time.
>I think I know why it hangs. It is because of vmmon_up.ko When I load
>that ko with kldload in single user mode, the system hangs again.
>So let's delete the file i thought, but it gives: (Logged in as root of course;)
>rm: /boot/kernel/vmmon_up.ko: Read-only file system
>ls -l gives:
>-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  38529 Feb 20 11:48 /boot/kernel/vmmon_up.ko
>I've tried to fix it with chmod: chmod a+w vmmon_up.ko but it doesn't help.
>Do you guys have any idea how to fix it?
>Thanks
>Wouter van Rooij

Single-user mode mount the root partition "read-only" and
does not mount any other partitions.  At the command prompt,
run "fsck"; if everything is clean, run "mount -a".  Then you will
have all your /etc/fstab filesystems mounted normally, and
can perform this operation.

I might recommend some action besides "rm" on a kernel
module, though (mv?).

Kevin Kinsey