Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:17:37 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        jacks@sage-american.com
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache subdir httpd.conf example

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 06:40:20PM -0600, jacks@sage-american.com wrote:
> Rats! The second part of my answer had an error:
> For /dirname:
> http://www.domain.com/dirname/
> place a subdirectory:
> /usr/local/www/data/dirname/index.html
[typos deleted]
> Now try: http://www.domain.com/dirname/

OK, gotcha meaning now. I'm sure you mean index.html is a text
file with HTML codes and text in it, within that directory.

So what happens when you try that?
What does your browser show? We need at least an error message
or description before we have a problem to solve.

What is reported in your apache error log after that failure?
That is where apache tries to give you all the answers itself.
Don't mess with your config too much until you take its advice.

Have you checked the permissions on the subdirectory and its files?
You do have an index.html file with some content in there, don't you?

Is apache actually running at the time? If not, you could try
running the script which is going to run at next system startup:
  # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start
(your path and filename might be slightly different)
Then try it again with the web browser.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-