Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2019 10:18:55 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Next steps on the drm/drm2 migration to ports tree

Greetings,

It's been a while, and the dust has settled. after consulting with the
graphics team, I plan on moving forward with the next step of the base drm
removal on Feb 1st. This will remove those parts of the drm code that
aren't still used by the arm code. From everything I've seen so far, most
(if not all) of the issues with the transition from built-in-tree drivers
to the drm-kmod ports have been resolved. In addition, there's now 32-bit
intel builds for the lkpi-based graphics drivers in beta. The arm
developers are working on a longer term strategy, and leaving the vestiges
of support in the tree will allow them to make their transition.

This move has been discussed for months, and is part of the negotiated
resolution of the crisis just before 12.0. I'll be posting a code review
next week to allow everybody involved a chance to comment on how well that
code review.

Warner