Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 02:26:28 +0300
From:      Usov Alexander <usov@ups.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE and XFree86 4.0

Ok, once more :)

Yuesterday I was trying to rebuid kernel in 4.0-RELEASE and now
I do have a few questions.

My hardware is:
K6-233 CPU
VIA VP3 Motherboard
ESS 1869 PNP Soundcard
S3 VIRDGE/DX 2Mb Video

And my dmesg:

[cut]
unknown0: <ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive> at port 0x800-0x807 on
isa0
sbc0: <ESS ES1869> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b,0x330-0x331 irq 5 drq
1,0 on isa0
pcm0: <SB DSP 3.01 (ESS mode)> on sbc0
unknown1: <ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive> at port 0x201 on isa0
unknown2: <Generic ESDI/IDE/ATA controller> at port
0x168-0x16f,0x36e-0x36f irq 9 on isa0
ata1-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
ata1-slave: identify failed
[cut]

And now the questions:

1. What is the right way to configure sound, I choose the
device          pcm
from LINT, but what does mean lines <unknown*> in dmesg` output?
2. In GENERIC there is a line
device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20
while in LINT it looks like
device		apm0
what is then real difference, and why GENERIC way don`t work?
3. What is unknown2: <Generic ESDI/IDE/ATA controller> ...?
4. Off-topic question: I had installed XFree 4.0 and when I tried to
use C-A-F1 to switch to the text mode it turn off monitor and
hang my system :(, but when I reboot, start X again and close them
normally
they turn off my monitor too, but after I had switched to the different
virtual console - it work again :) Is it known bug, or it`s not a bug,
and how can I fight against it?

Thanks to all!

PS.
Sorry for such many questions in one letter :)
Sorry for my bad english :)