Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 23:37:31 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between RELENG_* and RELENG_*_BP

Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
> DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER STARTING THIS THREAD!!!  It's been hashed

Double gah. Forget I said anything. ;)

> However, just ranting about this problem[0] won't accomplish anything
> other then wasting a lot of time and energy, IMO.  There's plenty of
> historic evidence to support this view in the archives.  If you want
> change you'll have to try another one.

These kinds of threads are indicative of a meta-problem.

The loop goes like this:

  1) Someone new brings up a "flame...er hashed over" problem again,
  usually because it really is a problem.

  2) People jump on the person (inadvertently hard perhaps) who
  brings it up.

  3) The person goes to the archives to find this discussion and
  can't do it due to the inadequecies of the mailing list search
  and browse features

  4) Said person goes away frustrated

  5) Go to 1

Meanwhile the original problem never gets solved nor even (useful)
mindshare thrown at it.

Am I flaming about this? No.

Do I want some way to solve these (and other) problems without
irritating everyone who's already fla...er discussed this before?
YES, and there needs to be a faster way to get up to speed with these
legacy discussions.

A couple examples off the top of my head of these kinds of
discussions are:
  * naming of -stable
  * why Xfree86 v4 wasn't in FreeBSD (until now)

All this dovetails with something I expressed earlier, with regards to
annotating documentation. Somehow, this community needs to be able to
process a certan class of ideas in a format other than linear mailing
lists. Perhaps some sort of meta-document is needed which describes
how things currently work, and some sort of attachable discussion
needs to go with ideas in that document. Perhaps this is the handbook?

I don't have a completely clear picture yet. Maybe some of you can
help me get one? =)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

A sample is a sample.  Yet nobody would buy my house when I
showed them a brick from it.               - Mulla Nasrudin