Date:      Thu, 23 May 2013 08:32:20 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Subject:   Re: Proposal: do not show up the dialog(1) by default?

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net> wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 07:45:42AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > A lot of people seems to be complaining about the configuration dialog
> popping
> > up all the time.
> >
> > What if we change the default behaviour to not pop up the dialog each
> time there
> > is a changed option but only when the user explicitly type make config?
> >
> > Just a proposal, please give your opinion.
> >
> > Of course make config-recursive behaviour won't change.
> >
> > regards,
> > Bapt
>
> I am strongly against it. Firstly, it's against POLA, secondly, while it
> hides complexity of the ports system it also hides its biggest
> advantage.
> You'll never know which knobs the ports you want to build offer and new
> users will never find out how to build an Apache web server with PHP
> support.
>
> My proposal get rid of the nagging NLS and DOCS window, ask the user
> initially if they want NLS and DOCS and enable/disable it globally.
> Second, encourage the use of portmaster to install new ports, which
> recursively displays the OPTIONS dialog and does this much faster than
> make config-recursive.
> That way you can set/unset all OPTIONS, go to bed and don't find an
> unanswered dialog in the next morning.

I agree.  The dialog needs to appear if there are no saved options for the
port (thus saving the options).  And it needs to appear if the list of
options has changed or if the defaults have changed from what's saved in
/var/db/ports/.

If the defaults are the same as what's saved in /var/db/ports/ then the
options window does not need to appear.

IOW, the way the ports tree worked before we lost the ability to set things
globally in /etc/make.conf (although it appears a convoluted hack has been
added to make this work).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com