Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 08:52:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, taob@io.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: 3 terabytes on one server? (was Re: more than 32 scsi disks on a single machine ?)

> On Mon, 13 May 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
>
> > hummin# cat /etc/fstab
> > /dev/sd0a                       /               ufs     rw 1 1
> > /dev/sd0s1e                     /usr            ufs     rw 1 1
> > /dev/sd0s1b                     none            swap    sw 0 0
> > /dev/sd1s1e                     /var            ufs     rw 1 1
> > /dev/sd1s1f                     /var/spool      ufs     rw 1 1
>
> 	Why do you have sd0s1[eb] and sd1s1[ef] set at 1?  The
> man page doesn't talk about this other then to state that the
> root files system (sd0a) should be set to 1 and the rest to 2.

Because that's the way sysinstall does things, because my /var and
/var/spool are relatively insignificant, compared to the news spool,
and because I never noticed or cared  :-)

The amount of work I put into perfecting configurations is directly
proportional to the size of the problem I perceive it to be.  Solaria
(SunOS 4.1) takes forever to check its filesystems, even though it's got
1/10th the disk that news does, so I put a lot more effort into making
sure that parallelism is well used there.  News blasts through its
filesystem checks (except for /nov which takes a while) at a hellish pace.
;-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968