Date:      Thu, 15 May 2008 18:34:55 +1000
From:      Nas Abdulla <naseef.ibrahim@gmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Regarding client configs

Hi,

I followed the guide at
http://www.cultdeadsheep.org/FreeBSD/docs/Quick_and_dirty_FreeBSD_5_x_and_nss_ldap_mini-HOWTO.html
to the T, except that I didnot slappasswd my rootpw or any other
password. The output of the finger command is

root@rule40# finger nabdulla
Login: nabdulla                         Name: TestUser
Directory: /home/test                   Shell: /bin/csh
Never logged in.
No Mail.
No Plan.

root@rule40# id nabdulla
uid=1000(nabdulla) gid=1000 groups=1000

the when I try to login

root@rule40# ssh nabdulla@rule115.caia.swin.edu.au
Password:
Password:
Password:
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

The following are the contents of nss_ldap.conf

host rule115.caia.swin.edu.au
uri ldap://rule115.caia.swin.edu.au
ldap_version 3
binddn cn=admin,dc=rule115,dc=caia,dc=swin,dc=edu,dc=au
bindpw secret
port 389
pam_password clear
nss_base_passwd
ou=people,dc=rule115,dc=caia,dc=swin,dc=edu,dc=au?one
nss_base_group          ou=group,dc=rule115,dc=caia,dc=swin,dc=edu,dc=au?one

In the pam.d/sshd ,I have added the following lines

auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so no_warn
try_first_pass
auth            required        pam_unix.so             no_warn
try_first_pass

password        sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so no_warn
try_first_pass
password        required        pam_unix.so             no_warn
try_first_pass

Why can't I login to the server if I can excecute id and finger with
results?

FreeBSD rule40.caia.swin.edu.au 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri
Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004
root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386