Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 1995 16:43:02 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: conf/301: Log rotation wastes _much_ to much space

> Here are patches to etc/daily, etc/weekly and etc/monthly to do this
> job: (please note that you should gzip -9n all your <logfile>.[0-9]'s
> before doing this!  If you don't, you will just keep forever the old crud.

Actually, at the risk of causing offense, I really hate the
/etc/{daily,weekly,monthly} scripts and would like to see them
substantially re-worked, not just patched like this!

1.	They should do nothing by default.
2.	They should contain only shell functions for doing the various
	operations.
3.	They should be written in such a way that /etc/sysconfig can
	define which security/logging/etc operations should take place,
	hopefully so that a nice front-end tool can actually do the
	actual setting.

What I'm saying is that the user should be able, from an admin menu
someplace, to go in and configure the daily, weekly and monthly tasks
for their system from a menu of options.

Anything else is just more hidden functionality, the likes of which
FreeBSD is [in]famous for.

						Jordan