Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 18:22:54 -0700
From:      TS Waterman <waterman@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        waterman@home
Subject:   using bad144 on a live disk?

I've been having a number of system crashes lately, and am
trying to track down the culprit.  The crashes occur without
panic, error message, core dump, or any other useful signs,
so I've been hunting mercilessly for them...

Next culprit -- possible bad disk.

The question:  can I use bad144 -sv to scan a disk that has
a filesystem on it? Or is this a format-time only kind of operation?

thanks,
--ts