Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 02:09:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee (Narvi)
Cc:        pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, kris@hub.freebsd.org, grog@lemis.com, kris@airnet.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting FreeBSD to the Mac (68K or PPC)

> I don't remember that. But I do remember Jordan saying that even if it
> should prove to not be a hoax (highly doubtful) it's inclusion in the tree
> should still be given a lot of consideration.

And then done, anyway, to iron out platform specific "gotchas"
for platforms that the people with the power to say "no" actually
_do_ care about.

It doesn't matter that the machine has been called "obsolete"
by elitists (processor snobs, actually); the source tree will
"learn" portability lessons from any port that's integrated.

Look at all the crap work that won't have to be done for Merced
because of the Alpha port fixing the 64-bitness, and probably
only a small amount of the other platform specific code, given
that it's not really a totally alien bus structure or totally
alien support chip structure for the machines which are currently
supported.

All ports are good, if they increase portability of the code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.