Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:41:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <airboss@bitstream.net>
To:        Albert Chin-A-Young <china@thewrittenword.com>
Cc:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>, Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing help

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Albert Chin-A-Young wrote:

> If we had a /19, we'd buy a router and be done with it :) We should
> probably just do it though.

That's pretty much it ;). I think your original question was "how can i
fail over to routing to the alternate link if the primary goes down?".
This is possible and, in fact, trivial -- but it's only solving 50% of
your problem, as you still don't have control of how traffic is routed
_to_ you. For that, as mentioned at length in previous posts, you need to
do something that affects global routing; either BGP or something that
gets redistributed into BGP eventually.

~Dan D.
-- I feel the earth move.
-- I feel the tumbling down, the tumbling down.

++ Dan Debertin
++ Senior Systems Administrator
++ Bitstream Underground, LLC
++ airboss@bitstream.net