Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:58:09 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Richard S. Conto" <rsc@merit.edu>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, assar@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/39577: /usr/include/sys/param.h has wrong value of __FreeBSD_version for FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE

--==_Exmh_-1081369511P

If memory serves me right, "Richard S. Conto" wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> This should fix the problem with "ports/net/arla" not being able to build.
> (In fact, when I kludge the arla "configure" script around this, arla seems
> to work fine for me.)

You're welcome, glad this works.

> Can BROKEN be removed from net/arla? (re: ports/38989: Fix to BROKEN arla por
> t (arla-0.35.6))

I'll leave that for the port maintainer.

> B.T.W.: What is the protocol for bumping "__FreeBSD_version" during the
> x.x-PRERELEASE and x.x-RC phases?  Perhaps "arla" is being too careful.

Well, ideally we (re@) would have bumped this at the same time on both
the RELENG_4 and RELENG_4_6 branches.  We didn't do this, obviously.

I'm not sure if arla should be checking for a __FreeBSD_version
consistent with newvers.sh or not.  I've never heard of any software
doing this before.

The releng article isn't real specific about this.  This is about the
third time (in this one release) where files didn't get bumped at the
right time.  We have a version bump list, but it really needs to say
when, and on what branches, revisions need to be bumped.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1081369511P

--==_Exmh_-1081369511P--