Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 1996 08:59:22 +0900
From:      Masafumi NAKANE/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2Y6LDJtSjgbKEI=?= <masafumi@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        masafumi@pobox.com
Subject:   SB16 and NAS

Hi,

     I have some problems with NAS and SB16.

     When I do cat to/from /dev/audio, it works OK.  But when I start
up ``au'' (sym linked to ``auvoxware''), following message appears on
the console:

PCM device 1 not installed.

Despite this message, playing audio files with auplay, using audial,
etc. work without problem.  When it comes to record with aurecord,
however, following message comes onto the console repeatedly until
auvoxware is terminated:

Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

and no recording is done.  (It works fine when I do
cat </dev/audio>foo.au.)

Relevant part of my kernel config file is as follows:

# Controls all sound devices
controller	snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5  drq 1 vector sbintr
options	SBC_IRQ=5
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 6
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
# Not controlled by `snd'
device pca0 at isa? port IO_TIMER1 tty

And here's what kernel says upon bootup:

CPU: Pentium (89.98-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x524  Stepping=4
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 30420992 (29708K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82437 (Triton) PCI cache memory controller> rev 1 on pci0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371 (Triton) PCI-ISA bridge> rev 2 on pci0:7
piix0 <Intel 82371 (Triton) Bus-master IDE controller> rev 2 on pci0:7
pca0 on motherboard
pca0: PC speaker audio driver
sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 6 on isa
sbxvo0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
 <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

And I'm running FreeBSD-current as of 04/03.

     Would misconfigured IRQ/DRQ be the only possibility causing this?

     Any suggestion is appreciated.

          Masafumi NAKANE, Keio Univ., Dept. of Environmental Information
E-Mail : t94303mn@sfc.keio.ac.jp / masafumi@pobox.com
[URL] :  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~t94303mn