Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:40:22 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@oreilly.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fast ethernet

>xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast x.x.x.x
>        inet6 xx::250:4ff:xxx:c7a1%xl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>        ether 00:50:xx:xx:xx:xx
>        media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active
>        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
>10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 100baseTX <hw-loopback>
>

>  Currently, I'm connected to a 10mbps hub, and my network connection
>works fine.  However if I plug directly into a 100BaseTX port on our
>switch, my connection slows to the point of being almost unusable--I can

How is the switch port configured?  You need to set the switch port and
the NIC so they agree.  Either both ends set to autoselect or both ends
locked to 100/full or 100/half.  The particularly bad case is when one
end is set to auto/auto and the other end is set to 100/full.  If you
do this the auto/auto end will select 100/half.

-Mitch