Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:27:11 +0000
From:      "Richard Reiner" <rreiner@forest.fscinternet.com>
To:        php-list@php.iquest.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject:   Problems with Apache 1.26 / mod_fastcgi 1.43 / fastcgi devkit 1.

Using Apache 1.26 / mod_fastcgi 1.43 / fastcgi devkit 1.51 on FreeBSD
2.2.6.

That's the current (non-Beta) verson of everything, I believe.

Can't get FastCGI apps to work right (fully detailed description of
the problem is below).  I *do* have FastCGI working perfectly on an
older box, using older versions of everything, and I'm not
configuring the enw ones differently.

Any ideas wll be much appreciated.  This is a priority, so please
email direct as well as to the list.

Many thanks, and apologies to anyone who receives this through more
than one list.

Richard

Problem details are as follows:

1. I try to use the old-style "static" fastcgi apps.
   I insert the following in httpd.conf:

    <Directory /var/www/fcgi-bin>
      SetHandler fastcgi-script
    </Directory>
    AppClass /var/www/fcgi-bin/tiny-fcgi.fcgi -processes 2

  The result is that Apache fails to start, with the error

    AppClass: could not create IPC socket

2. So I try the new "dynamic" style.  Instead of the above, I insert
   just the following in httpd.conf:

    <Directory /var/www/fcgi-bin>
      SetHandler fastcgi-script
    </Directory>

   Apache now starts, but the tiny-fcgi.fcgi fails to run: URLs
   calling it return no response.

3. OK, so I discover that in the FastCGI IPC directory the file
   dynamic/mbox is being created as follows:

  -rw-------  1 root  www  0 Apr  1 13:21 /var/www/ipc/dynamic/mbox

  No good, since Apache changes its uid to run as the user "www".
  So I chown it to be as follows:

  -rw-------  1 www  www  0 Apr  1 13:21 /var/www/ipc/dynamic/mbox

  Now tiny-fcgi.fcgi works fine; but if it dies (which I simulate
  by killing it) it doesn't restart, and we're back to returning no
  response to URLs that call it.

Help?!

--
  Richard Reiner, Ph.D.       .  rreiner@fscinternet.com