Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 09:22:14 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony Z600-HEK - un-recommendation

Richard Tobin wrote:

> Several things surprised me by just working - X, USB mouse, the USB
> floppy (looks like a SCSI disk) and a wireless ethernet PC card.
>
> I'd like to be able to disable the touch pad when I have a mouse
> attached - anyone know how to do that?

I have a Sony Z505S and I use a Raritan PS/2 to USB to connect
an external keyboard and mouse. Here is how I dealt with
the multiple mice:

1) configured moused in /etc/rc.conf
	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_type="ps/2"
	moused_port="/dev/psm0"
	moused_flags="-I /var/run/moused.psm0.pid -3"

2) configured X to use moused
	Identifier  "Mouse1"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option "Protocol"    "MouseSystems"
			      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
		I never did figure out why I had to use this
		instead of SysMouse, but it works!
	Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"

3) configured usbd to start moused when a usb mouse is attached
   and stop it when the mouse is dettached
	device "Raritan PS/2 to USB"
		product 0x0101
		vendor 0x04b4
		release 0x0001
		devname ums[0-9]
		attach "/usr/sbin/moused \
		  -I /var/run/moused.${DEVNAME}.pid -t auto \
		  -p /dev/${DEVNAME}; \
		  kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/console"
		detach "kill `cat /var/run/moused.${DEVNAME}.pid`; \
		  kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/console"

Of course, you won't want to switch keyboards and if you want to
disable the touch pad, you will need to kill off moused for the
touchpad in the "attach" section and restart it in the "detach"

Hope this helps.

-stacy

--
Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character.
    - Calvin

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited