Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:23:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <jwb@fore.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp and static IP

Freebsd 2.2.1-RELEASE
ppp 2.2 patch level 0beta3 and 2.3 patch level 0beta3

My provider upgraded their Bay routers last week and now I can not use
ppp on Freebsd with a static IP address. Mickysoft and linux works so I'm
hung out to dry. I can use a dynamic IP though. Bay is saying that Freebsd
is messed up. Debug doesn't show anything special in the LCP negotiation..
tried turning off and on every switch in the man page for pppd and tried
turning off tcp/ip extensions in sysconfig.

I tried compiling the new pppd (2.3 which supports dial on demand) but it
does the same thing. I did discover that the make process specifically for
freebsd does not work and munges the system src tree. Has anyone got a valid
port for the new pppd?

Please cc me in email since I don't get this list. Any suggestions or help
or fixes for my ppp problem are very welcome. I don't want to load linux and
really don't want to find another provider just because of this so I get
to learn slip this week (yay!).

Joe Beiter                          FORE Systems, Inc.
jwb@fore.com                        Network Integration Services
(412)772-6585