Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 19:52:57 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Luc De Meyer <ldemeyer@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: connectable to Mac's???

> L.S.,
>
> I understand that one can connect to a Win-95 PC using SAMBA. But is
> there also a way to connect to a Macintosh?  We use a mixed network here
> and I would like to use FreeBSD as a server to both platforms.

Add to your kernel config file:
options         NETATALK                #Appletalk communications protocols

Build a new kernel and reboot. Install the /usr/ports/net/netatalk port
(or package). Configure it. And you are off and running.

Netatalk will not mount a Mac filesystem on your FreeBSD box, but will
let you export from your FreeBSD system. I think you can export
filesystems that have been imported via NFS or Samba. Netatalk also
allows you to access AppleTalk printers, and to be an AppleTalk printer
server.

There is a netatalk-admins@umich.edu list. Forgot if its majordomo or
listserv. My subscribe receipt appears to have been manually sent.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net