Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2010 06:14:12 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports INDEX file

--------------enig1828DBF5B0DE38FBC6E9EEB5

On 23/07/2010 02:20:02, Fbsd8 wrote:
> I have a pristine install  of 8.0.
> There is no /usr/ports directory yet.
> I am trying to use the "portcheckout" port and the "porteasy" port to
> just populate the ports tree with only the ports I use.

I've heard of a few people trying to do things like this, and mostly the
consensus is that's it's more trouble than it's worth.  Good luck.

In order to make your cut-down tree work properly, you'ld have to
maintain custom versions of /usr/ports/Makefile and which ever of the
category Makefiles you use (ie. the Makefiles one level down the tree).

> Problem is in both cases the above ports require an existing INDEX file=

> to process and since I have none they don't work.
>=20
> How can I just download the ports INDEX file?
> Portsnap is not a solution.

You can use my ports-mgmt/p5-FreeBSD-Portindex port to build an INDEX
file -- ideally you should get it to run without complaints about
missing dependencies and such, but if you don't it will do the best it
can to produce something resembling an INDEX.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3