Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 16:56:54 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        "'Terry R. Friedrichsen'" <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD/alpha wm problems

> I saw the exact same problems reported in the freebsd-alpha
> mailing list
> archives about a year ago.  I get the stripe of titlebar color
> in twm that is mentioned below, too - but that goes away if you
> "sleep 2" before firing up twm ...

I've seen this kind of stuff on x86 PC's when XFree86 did not probe the
video RAM correctly. In particular when XFree86 thinks it has more than
there really is.

Does XFree86 autoprobe the RAM or do you specify it yourself? If you
specified it, try autoprobing it instead.

Are you *absolutely sure* that's how much RAM is on the graphics board? I
fell into this one when an unnamed supplier gave me a board with only half
the RAM it said on the box...

    Kees Jan