Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 12:09:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

yes, and the easiest way of achieving that is to
get the device from a temporarily mounted new copy of devfs.
do a lookup in there for the device you want
mv it to /dev wherever you want
ans unmount the temp devfs.
I know that at present you can't do that and unmount the 2nd devfs,
but that's easily fixable in the  code.

This lets the kernel do the lookup and the housekeeping.

there are a few other things I'm looking at, one of which is a
being able to mount a 'blank devfs (useful in some cases)
and a mount -u which refreshes deleted devices

julian