Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:11:25 -0400
From:      "Yong Lim" <yong@csfi.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   can't load 'kernel' on HP Kayak 05xx series...

Hi,
   Sorry, if this is a repost but I send the question earlier but I was not
subscripted to this list and was not sure if the question got thru.

   I got an HP Kayak PII 400 05xx series and installed 4.2 on it and this is
what I get when I first reboot the system.  By the way after a few installs;
I borrowed a copy of Win98 and after a long install Win98 came up okay.

   Here's the display message on a new install and reboot:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A:  is disk0
BIOS drive C:  is disk1

BIOS 638kB/129984kB available memory
FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(jkh@bento.FreeBSD.org, Mon Nov 20 11:41:23 GMT 2000)

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt

Booting [kernel]...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'

It is also take quite awhile between the line "(jkh@bento..." to the "Hit
[Enter..."  Then of course the "Booting [kernel]" and "can't load" takes a
few minutes.  I'm not sure whether the system is bad or I missed some steps
in the installation.  I had install a 4.0 awhile back with success.

Any help will be appreciated...

Yong