Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 01:04:51 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Hass" <dhass@imagestream.com>, "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        "Jim Bryant" <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, "MurrayTaylor" <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Alfred Shippen" <ashippen@metromatics.com.au>
Subject:   RE: FYI

Frankly this is the only way I can see that FreeBSD drivers for the 5xx
series would ever come about.  Porting SAND over, while having advantages
of long term support, is just overkill for this, besides which it's unlikely
you will get a FreeBSD developer to work on GPL code.

This would end up putting a WANic 5xx driver into the same status as the
drivers for the Emerging Technologies, or Sangoma sync cards, which both come
with binary-only FreeBSD drivers.  It would actually have a leg up over
those drivers because it would have Netgraph hooks and I believe that the
Sangoma drivers don't (but I've never worked with the Sangoma cards so I
don't know for certain)

If the register interface to the 5xx cards wasn't tremendously different
than the 4xx cards then the sr driver would be a good skeleton to start
with.  While the offer of the DDK is nice, my guess is most of the code in it
is for making SAND modules.