Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG (Robert Watson), freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eliminate crget() from nfs kernel code?

:Though there is a race condition that you could drive a truck
:through in close(2) (the reference count is decremented to zero,
:menaing that the descriptor could end up reused, prior to a lot
:of things being done to the now zero referencs descriptor), a
:gross closing of that hole indicates that it is not a close race
:that is the problem, and that the problem has to be occuring in
:the soclose() code, or in the credentials code.

    There is no race condition in close(2) that I know of.  I did a
    pass through all the descriptor code a few months ago and I'm
    fairly sure that close(2) is just fine.  If you believe there
    is a race condition, review the code and if you find it please
    email me and I will fix it.  Keep in mind that a file pointer is
    completely independant of its original descriptor once it has been
    detached from the descriptor.

    The MALLOC issue seems like one that could be fixed in a few
    heartbeats.  If that is the case, could someone please just do it?
    Or point out where it is and I'll do it.

						-Matt