Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 01:23:24 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Roelof Osinga" <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        <bcohen@bpecreative.com>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

No, because there's different levels of security.

If all you want is a quick and dirty firewall, then run NAT on a $100
LinkSys, plug that into your DSL line, and be done with it.  You won't be
able to serve off webpages with the default NAT on that, nor will you be
able to run many network games (whcih can't work though NAT) but you
probably won't get cracked either - at least, not cracked in the sense of
the word that attackers are going to destroy or steal files.

The truth is that most attacks these days consist of the Denial Of Service
type.  Such an attack won't cost you anything because they can't get in and
destroy things, and protecting from them is simple - you just shut down
everything.  Of course the attack does cost you if the loss of network
access will cost you money, but not direct costs - just loss of potential
revenue, which is speculative anyway.

Where firewalling gets costly, as in sucking up your time or paying someone
else, is when you want to have your cake and eat it too - ie: you want to be
protected, but you also want to offer services or do different things, and
you also want the firewall to be invisible to you, from the inside.

>Personally I'ld rather err on the safe side, but MicroSoft has shown
>by its continued existence that the world thinks otherwise. IOW MS
>grocks the world, sad as it may be.

Remember that Microsoft products are designed for internal corporate use,
not external Internet server production use.  Internal corporate networks
are generally more friendly than the public Internet.