Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:27:44 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make -U

--Do4IU1xF/9sod/r6

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:23:20PM -0500, Juli Mallett wrote:
> * Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> [ Date: 2003-07-30 ]
> 	[ w.r.t. make -U ]
> > Sorry, I've accidentally dropped an email about `make -U'.
> >=20
> > I think that it's not needed, since the functionality can
> > easily be achieved by running "make FOO=3D", i.e., assigning
> > an empty value.  Remember that command line variables take
> > precedence over globals, so the following makefile,
> >=20
> > FOO+=3D	bar
> >=20
> > all:
> > 	@echo ${FOO}
> >=20
> > when run as ``make FOO=3Dfoo'', will print just ``foo''.
>=20
> Does that work for the .if defined() case, too?  Makefiles can grow
> to be more complex than just that sort of stuff, after all :)
>=20
Not sure what do you mean.  The "make -U FOO" was support to
undefine the FOO variable, as it the ``.undef FOO'' was called
at the end of makefile.  Of course, setting FOO=3D on a command
line still gets you a "defined" variable, but

=2Eif defined(FOO) && !empty(FOO)

should do the trick.  Try this out with "make FOO=3D":

FOO=3D	bar

all:
=2Eif defined(FOO) && !empty(FOO)
	@echo FOO is set