Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:27:46 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 02:21:59AM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> Sorry for my absence.  The biggest problem is my poor English skills

Your English is much better than my Japanese

> And because of my job, I cannot spend much time for FreeBSD in
> weekdays.  As you know, currently under pre-freeze time for
> 3.3-RELEASE, and I have many patches to be reviewed and committed
> before freeze.

That's very true.  I'm more than happy to postpone this discussion until
after 3.3 is out.

<snip>

> These things are technically true.  But when many committers and
> doc-submitters don't use emacs, more verbose self-described markup
> language (like DocBook) makes difficult to write for them.  Should we
> (emacs users) consider them?

Indeed we should, and I'm open to suggestions as to what we can do.  We
already accept plain text (or even HTML) doc submissions, so that other
people can do the markup as necessary.  I don't use editors other than
vi and emacs, but if someone wants to submit text and hints for the FDP
primer for users of editors other than Emacs I'm all for it.

> >  4.  DocBook is a "richer" markup model, so our documents will be easier
> >      to downgrade to other markup models (like, for example, HTML, or
> >      PilotDoc).
>
> As Satoshi said, HTML rendering for our handbook is not completed
> yet.

Do you mean the Japanese translated Handbook, or the Handbook as a whole?
Satoshi bought up the fact that sections weren't numbered, and I posted
3 lines of code that fixed that.  Since no one's complained about it, I'll
commit a freebsd.dsl that turns on that sort of numbering shortly.

But we can't fix these if we don't know about them.  Satoshi (or anyone else
for that matter) may very well be going around thinking that there's some
fundamental problem with the HTML conversion, but unless they post about it
here it won't be addressed.

> We should refine that before going to another work like
> repository reorganization.

IMHO, the two issues are separate and unrelated.  We can work on one while
doing the other.

> > > Also, the Japanese PS and PDF handbook generation is still broken
> > > since the Linuxdoc -> Docbook switchover.
>
> > It is?  Define broken?  I know that there were problems, but I was under
> > the impression that Jun Kuriyama had fixed them, updated the port, and
> > forwarded them on to Norm Walsh.
>
> Yes, currently that is broken.  teTeX cannot handle Japanese encoding
> and jadetex also needs patches for Japanese TeX suite.
>
> And I don't have Japanese handling specification in PDF.  I think
> dvi2ps and ps2pdf converter help us, but that seems more far stage...

My cursory reading of the teTeX info pages tells me that this should be
possible, but I don't know how to accomplish it.  Is there someone on the
Japanese team who could act as a 'point man' for this problem?  I can
probably find various people who are competent in TeX, but I couldn't
effectively describe the problem for them, and I couldn't effectively
test any solutions they suggest.

> > OK, seriously, for a moment:  if you felt the need to write that then
> > something has gone seriously wrong.  I'd like to hear from the members
> > of the Japanese Doc. Proj. (in private mail please, not withstanding the
> > disclaimer at the start of this message, I don't think we need to subject
> > -doc to the rest of this) so we can discuss this a little more slowly and
> > a little more calmly.  I mean no offense to you Satoshi, but until this
> > little blow-up my contact with the Japanese translators was Jun Kuriyama,
> > and he's been conspicuously absent from this thread.
>
> So, everything in these thread (including ones in long ago) is too
> speedy for me.  And many things are decided before I can make spare
> time for that discussion.
>
> I want to walk more slowly in discussion and in Doc Project working.

That's fine.  I'm being pulled in two different directions here -- on the
one side I've got people saying "This is broken/doesn't look nice, fix it
now", and on the other side I've got people who need more time.

I'm happy to err on the side of caution, and delay things as appropriate.

> Hmmm.  I took over 1 hour to write this mail and much sleepy.  Can I
> postpone to replying other comments? :-)

Absolutely.  It took me 3 hours to write 4 messages last night, and I've
spent most of today in bed with a headache the size of Texas.

About the only thing I would like to get some resolution on is the issue
with Japanese teTeX.  This is obviously quite a problem, and if someone
with from the Japanese team would like to volunteer to liase with me on
fixing it, lets see what we can work out.

Cheers,

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>