Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:26:55 +0100
From:      Bartosz Piotr Fabianowski <freebsd@chillt.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anti-aliased fonts under Linux emulation, but not natively on FreeBSD 4.5

Hi!

I just installed FreeBSD 4.5 a few days ago (to distract myself from
studying for finals next week :). Everything went pretty well, but I ran
into a problem:

I can't get anti-aliased fonts to work under XFree 4.2.0. Since only
4.1.0 was available via the ports, I installed 4.1.0 from there and then
installed the binary distribution of XFree 4.2.0 for FreeBSD from
xfree86.org on top of it (replacing the old 4.1.0 files).

It runs just fine, KDE works perfectly, but whatever tutorial / how-to I
try on anti-aliased fonts under KDE 2.2.2, I never get anti-aliased
fonts to work. The RENDER extension is there, all settings in the config
files are ok, font paths are ok, freetype and type1 modules loaded...
but still, no anti-aliased fonts.

The weird thing is that kxICQ2, which I am running via the Linux
emulation layer, DOES give me anti-aliased fonts. It must be something
with the libraries (kxICQ2 uses Linux KDE and Qt libraries, of course).

So, my question is - how could I find out, which library / libraries are
broken and how would I replace them? I deinstalled and reinstalled
freetype and freetype2, double- and triple-checked all settings...
noting to be found. One thing I noticed is that ldd libfreetype.so gives
me an error about the library being in a wrong format for ldd - is that
normal, or could that be my problem? A wrong format?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Bartosz Fabianowski