Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:43:07 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Has my de0 died?

Doug White replied:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 dkelly@HiWAAY.net wrote:
>
> > Recently I noticed in email from the daily crontab script that my LAN
> > segment router's ethernet address changed over that weekend. Thought
> > that was a nice thing to know. Afterwards my de0 started acting up.
> > Problem has been recurring for weeks now.
> >
> > Rebooted hoping something was amis in the ARP tables due to the router
> > swap. No luck. Built a new kernel from CTM src-2.2.0519 this afternoon.
> > No improvement. dmesg says:
>
> Have you tried running the card's diagnostic software and see if tat comes
> up with anything?

That means I'll have to figure out how to run DOS.  :-O
Seriosuly, I did leave a 20M partition on my 4G drive Just In Case.
Guess I should go looking for ZNYX's ftp site as it would be easier to
find than the floppy. While I'm at it, they might have a lifetime
warranty...?

> Tried swapping with another card?

Not yet. The PowerMac on the same EtherWave isn't having any troubles.
Don't know what kind of router was there, or is there now, but was
wondering (but not saying very well) if there was any oddity with this
card and certian routers. It has served well for about a year. But
something happened to cause somebody to replace a router. No telling
what else was replaced.

Don't really think its a router problem because when the problem
surfaces it can't talk to the Mac sitting next to it, and VV.

Think the next thing I'm going to try is removing NETATALK from the
kernel. Not that I think that has anything to do with it, but its
something to try that's a bit easier than exchanging the ethernet card.
Considering this is mostly a learning machine and not mission critical,
I can afford to dork around and learn rather than shotgun fix.

> I'm tempted to think that you're having a network problem (bad cable or
> misconfigured terminal) or the card died.

I hope so. The only thing I have to replace it with is an ISA NE2000.
Maybe its time to buy an Intel 10/100B or two just in case?  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net