Date:      21 Feb 2002 03:57:39 -0000
From:      erik@www.smluc.org
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speeding up bsd.ports.mk

Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org> said:

<snip>

> Because the code in question invokes child makes like a mad. Each child
> when invoked have to parse huge bsd.port.mk and associated files, spawn
> many subshells to get environment (uname(1) and friends) and so on,
> which obviously takes a lot of CPU time. I'm currently making a good
> progress in tweaking our own bsd.port.mk - so far I got decrease of the
> build system overhead by 75% (now it 4 times less than was before). I'm
> testing it using very basic "empty" port, do dozen `make all clean'
> invocations and measure the time it takes to complete the run.
>
> I hope to get a patch for review/testing tomorrow. Stay tuned. :)
>
> -Maxim

ugh, ".USE" actually does a fork/exec/wait deal? Could it be re-written to
do in-line parsing, possibly building a graph of read files, maybe do it like
a real programming language? or too much effort when re-writing as a parse
script is easier? :) Maybe I should shut up if I'm not going to bother
looking at the source :)

<snip>

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.