Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:11:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Hughes <mh_lists@digitalspy.co.uk>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IMAP server... Is there one?

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Jan Grant wrote:
> > > Really? Oh dear... Anyone got any ideas on how to setup dkimap4 from the
> > > ports? I've tried installing it and it doesn't work "out of the box", and
> > > there was no docs with it or on the net anywhere..
> > >
> > > Of the other three, which one would you recommend?
> >
> > I use cyrus here; courier is good too (perhaps a little lighter) and
> > probably easier to get going than cyrus; it also coexists nicely with
> > qmail. I wouldn't touch UW-IMAP with a bargepole. I'll have a look at
> > the dkimap4 tomorrow...
>
> You said you want to use mbox files (presumably to interoperate with
> other mail clients that use mbox)? dkimap uses movemail, which will take
> stuff out of /var/mail/* and chuck it into its own repository. Is taht
> what you're after?

Er.. not sure. Are mbox files the default way of handling mail
in FreeBSD? If so, then yes, that's what we're looking for.

Basically, we're setting up a web server - from that end we've got no
problem, we've set up all things web many times before.  However, this web
server will also be required to handle mail for 8-10 people, who will be
logging in through pop, imap, or directly on the machine using pine.

We just want the simplest implementation possible for doing this.
Obviously we're not talking millions of emails (not even hundreds) per day
- hence the reason I'm looking for something easy to set up and
lightweight.

On our test box I've installed IMAP-UW from the ports, and that does do
exactly what we want, it's just that nasty security warning... which I do
take seriously.

We want it to work with POP, so any implementation must be
cross-compatible with one of the excellent popd implementations in ports
or have it's own popd. Also it would be excellent if whatever system we
came up with would also work with procmail... 'cause I love procmail :+)

> Line of least resistance for you might well be courier and qmail.

OK... how easy is that to set up? I think the problem here is mainly that
we're all very inexperienced in setting up mail servers - we literally
don't know where to start, and IMAP-UW for it's faults does just work out
of the box. If it wasn't for the security problems, I wouldn't be here now
:+)

That said, if we could set up an alternative with a modest commitment of
time then we would very much prefer not to run the IMAP-UW software...
which at the moment is unfortunately looking like being the way we're
going to do it.

So, that said, any recommendations of a tutorial or the like on setting up
qmail/courier?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Mark

--
Mark Hughes - DVD & Film Content Manager, Technical Officer
Digital Spy Ltd