Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 21:46:27 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more strange problem with broken pipes and ssh

On Mar 3, 10:35pm, Nate Williams wrote:
} [ SIGPIPE errors ]
}
} > I don't think it's the shell.  To verify my results try changing your
} > login shells (e.g. vipw, log out, log in, test, vipw, log out, ...)
} > just like I did.  All this guessing will get us nowhere until more
} > actual testing is done.
} >
} > Could it be an sshd config option?

That would be my next guess.

} It appears that Don Lewis already found and fixed it.  The bug is well
} known, and has been discussed to death in the past.  I and others are
} testing out Don's fix right now, and should be able to have more
} conclusive evidence in the next few days...

Yeah, the bug is that sshd is invoking the shell with SIGPIPE set to
SIG_IGN instead of SIG_DFL, but the mystery is why not everyone sees
the problem.  It appears that at least some versions of bash work around
the problem, and most people see the problem with /bin/sh, /bin/csh,
and /bin/tcsh.  For some reason, Cy never sees the problem no matter
what shell he uses ...