Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:24:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: video cam with room view for FreeBSD

>=20
> Message: 23
> Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 16:33:43 +0100
> From: "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@kompasmedia.nl>
> Subject: Re: video cam with room view for FreeBSD
> && Skype
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>=20
<SNIP!>
> In the past I've had reasonable succes using a standard
> camcorder over=20
> firewire to do things like this. It's been a few years
> though. If using=20
> firewire isn't an issue for you, I'd be happy to delve into
> my pile of=20
> notes and see if I can find you something of a howto. The
> advantage of a=20
> firewire camera is in the much more standardized protocol
> between PC and=20
> camera.
>=20
> Bas
>=20

USB cameras are starting to implement a standard protocol as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class
(Shortened to "UVC")
It is apparently a requirement for USB and Vista certification.

>From the Wikipedia page:
FreeBSD

Not implemented yet, there are patches available which make Linux kernel US=
B mediadrivers work in userspace by using an asynchronous USB interface. It=
's the first OS allowing to have an entire highspeed USB driver in userland=
.

Regards,

James Phillips

______=0AThe new Internet Explorer=AE 8 - Faster, safer, easier.  Optimized=