Date:      Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:15:00 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Olivier Houchard <cognet@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: New pts code triggers panics on amd64 systems.

Robert Watson writes:
> Does the instability occur if kern.pts.enable=3D0, or only when=20
> kern.pts.enable=3D1?  If 0, if you back out the user space changes but =
leave=20
> tty_pts.c compiled into the kernel, do the instability issues persist? =
 How=20
> about with the kernel code compiled out, but the user space code in pla=
ce?
>=20
> Basically, it would be good to know if what you're seeing is a property=
 of th
> e=20
> pts code being in the kernel at all, or a property of it actually in us=
e.=20
> The former might be indicate that a memory layout change or devfs behav=
ioral=20
> change has triggered an existing bug previously masked, whereas the lat=
ter=20
> more likely signals a bug in the pts code or a bug in devfs generated b=
y=20
> virtue of the deletion of device nodes.  That some of the panics happen=
 very=20
> early (perhaps before a pts device is actually allocated) is suggestive=

I was running 32-bit so I rebooted to 64-bit.

kern.pts.enable was 0=A0so I set it to 1 and started X. This automaticall=
starts an mrxvt with 3 virtual terminals. Everything was OK and ``tty''
showed /dev/pts/{0,1,2}, as expected.

I didn't try booting with an entry in loader.conf to set kern.pts.enable
to 1.

I'm now back running 32-bit with kern.pts.enable set to 1 in X with a
whole slew of mrxvt's running and I see no problems here either. The
only difference is that ``w'' doesn't show any of the /dev/pts entries
although I have 7 active.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg garyjATdenxDOTd=