Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 14:47:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        LLT <llt@recol.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: copying passwords

It should be the same.  I see no reason they would have changed
it.  Basically you can save your master password file and copy the
encrypted strings back into the 4.0 password file.

I think it uses the standard Unix crypt command to generate these
encrypted passwords.  I have swapped these passwords between apache
.htpasswd files in the past without making any changes.

Just copy the string from colon to colon...

peon:yYTGUGnjM9XJA:5009:1005::0:0:Peon:/home/peon:/sbin/nologin

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?