Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:02:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Processor affinity?

>     The only issue with processor affinity, really, is the actual load on
>     the main memory.  Processor affinity only makes sense when the load on
>     main memory is relatively high.  Typically, SMP systems have a relatively
>     low main memory load ( and high L1 and L2 cache memory load ), so until
>     you have enough cpu's banging on the same main memory to saturate it,
>     processor affinity is usually wash.  It makes sense on a big 32+ cpu
>     Solaris or SGI system, but not much sense on a 2 or 4 cpu system.

Right- I think I knew this. I guess I'm dating myself in that I kept on
thinking of how useful processor affinity was on the Kubota (aka 'Ardent')
4 banger MIPS-3000 machines- but the cache architectures of this machine
is much more like the SGI systems than the 4 way SMP machines you describe.

-matt