Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 10:36:00 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Yungbo Liu <yliu@scri.fsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcmpc100 v2 installation

The PCMPC100 is a Linksys PCMCIA network interface card.

I did not try installing via FTP via that specific card, however, since I had
a CD available.

But I do recall /stand/sysinstall noting that it had detected a PCMCIA card
and asking me if I wanted to provide the program with the properties
necessary to use it. I did not explore this path in detail, but assume that
these properties are the properties one would acquire either by reading the
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf (/etc/pccard.conf in earlier releases of FreeBSD)
file, or by dumping the properties of a working PCMCIA NIC with the
pccardc(8) utility.

I believe that if you can determine your PCMPC100's configuration while it is
operating (this is probably possible under DOS-derived OSes, also, with the
caveat that the card's chosen values under DOS may not be the same as those
used under FreeBSD or other *NIXes) that this would give you the values you
needed in order to use your PCMCIA NIC during installation.

I may be wrong.  (-:

But I'd read the manual pages for pccardd(8), pccardc(8) and pccard.conf(5),
get acquainted with the terminology associated with the configuration of a
PCMCIA card, and then try again, hopefully with some notes relating to the
properties used by that model of card, under FreeBSD.

Perhaps someone would care to cut-and-paste the entry for this card from
/etc/../pccards.conf? If not, I can do this, or it can perhaps be found at
http://www.freebsd.org ...?

-- richard

Yungbo Liu wrote:

> Hi, everyone,
>
> I tried to install FreeBSD via FTP but failed. The installation cannot
> recognize my pcmpc100 V2 card correctly.
>
> Does anyone know how to deal with it? I am really new to FreeBSD and want
> to give it a try.
>
> Many Thanks.
>
> YL

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
203.556.8471 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA