Date:      Sun, 30 May 2010 21:44:01 +0200
From:      Demelier David <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Subject:   Re: what would take to allow binary upgrade to amd64?

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 09:51:11PM +0300, Eitan Adler wrote:
> I know that attempting to change from i386 to amd64 is is not possible
> using freebsd-update and difficult using source.
> Why is this? Would it require a significant amount of work to allow
> such transitions?

While the system is running we won't be able to do this. Because you canno't
overwrite file with a different architecture if you are running on it !

It will work for a couple of minutes and then you should get something like
"exec format error" and your system will be completely broken.

Maybe this can be possible with a other OS in livecd.

--
Demelier David