Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 11:18:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        johnson@charming.nrtc.northrop.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: problems with 2.2.1 installation

On 25-Apr-97 johnson@charming.nrtc.northrop.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>  I just received the Walnut Creek CD set for FreeBSD 2.2.1.  I created a
>boot floppy by `dd'ing' from the floppies directory onto /dev/rfd0.
>
>  This boot floppy appears to work on an old 33MHZ 486, and a standard
>Pentium-based PC.
>
>  However, disappointingly, it fails on my laptop computer, which is the
>one I wanted to upgrade to FreeBSD 2.2.1 for the PCMCIA support.
>
>  (I am currently running 2.1.5 on these machines.)
>
>  My machine is a 100MHZ Pentium, Compaq Armada 1125.  I get into the
>installation package just fine, but several of the options cause the
>computer to totally lock and become catatonic, requiring a power cycle
>to reboot.
>
>  The `Distribution' selection option causes the machine to hang, as does
>the Description of FreeBSD option under Documents.

Does Alt-F2 still work? Try this and tell us what you see. There should be a
log of error messages on that screen. You should be able to scroll through that
with Scroll-Lock and cursor keys.

>  Would it be possible to use the old 2.1.5 Intallation boot floppy, but
>install the 2.2.1 system?  (I'm not sure it would be wise to try to upgrade
>my laptop to 2.2.1 if the kernel and install program consistently cause the
>machine to crash.  However, for curiousity I might back everything up and
>try it.)
>
>  I carefully disabled all the devices that the machine does not have.
>
>  I guess the way to view this message is that at least one person out there
>in userland tried to install 2.2.1 and it crashed and burned.
>
>  I've installed FreeBSD several times before, and this is the first time I've
>had problems like this.
>
>Greg Johnson
FreeBSD                                        <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Top breeders recommend it

Joachim Kuebart                                      <joa@delos.lf.net>
<joa@stuttgart.netsurf.de>          <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Germany                                             Tel: +49 711 653706