Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:29:59 GMT
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/2810: Tutorial submission: Upgrading FreeBSD from source

>Number:         2810
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Tutorial submission detailing how to upgrade FBSD from source
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1.7-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	N/A

As a penance for wasting a few folk's time with some of my recent SNAFU's
when upgrading 2.1.5 to 2.1.7 (Hi Jordan), I've written up a document
describing (hopefully accurately) the steps that need to be gone
through when re-making the world, and the precise meaning of the phrase

    "You must merge in /etc by hand"

that gets bandied about every now and then.

I've placed this in

    <URL:ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/FBSD_UPGRADE>;

and would welcome feedback from anyone who knows more about this subject
than I do.

At the moment, the document is plain text (I don't know LinuxDoc, would
prefer not to (I'd rather spend the time learning DocBook, but don't
know of a handy tutorial -- references appreciated)).

I'm kind of hoping that with a bit of peer review it can become a
candidate for the tutorials page, and ultimately spawn a new section
of the handbook.

As I say, feedback welcomed. Hope it's useful.

This message also sent to doc@freebsd.org.

>How-To-Repeat:

	N/A

>Fix: