Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:46:41 -0500
From:      john b p melesky <jmelesky@dynamictrade.com>
To:        media@ct1.nai.net
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fortune stopped working on login

> From the user prompt, the command fortune works (ie. it generates a quote).
> This seems true for all games, eg. hangman will run as user, but won't run
> as root.

This is probably due to a difference in the $PATH environment variable
(should be set in your .login, or .profile, or whatever appropriate file
for your shell).

From a user account, type 'whereis fortune' -- that will return the
absolute path of your fortune executable. Then you can either move it
(as root, not as a user), or extend root's path to include that
directory.

> However, I
> cannot figure out _how_ root would have less permissions (although I can
> see _why_).

It is not uncommon for root to have a more restricted PATH, to keep
people from accidentally running something potentially compromising as
root. It is not a hard restriction, though, and everyone has a different
opinion on the matter.

-johnnnnnnn