Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:06:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        sturdee@qtm.net (Mike)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

> I've been looking through your site, and see you have install instuctions
> for DOS.. I was wondering what i need to do to install FreeBSD on a newly
> assembled computer that has not yet been booted.
> Thanx

You need the boot.flp floppy and access to the FreeBSD-distribution you
want to install. The distribution could reside on (a lot of!) floppies,
on some computer in your lan or the Internet, on CD-ROM, *or* on a
local DOS-partition, whatever fits best your hardware configuration.

You do *not* have to install DOS on your target in order to install FreeBSD.

But you do need a running system to prepare the boot.flp. This *can* be
DOS but any UNIX-System with access to a floppydrive will work as well.

I wish you good luck installing FreeBSD!

Wolfgang Helbig