Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 18:18:31 -0400
From:      Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

On 2002-07-06 18:05 +0000, Dan Moschuk wrote:

> I've been doing some thinking lately about our ports system versus what
> other systems have adopted and was curious as to what people think on
> the subject?  What does FreeBSD do well?  Where can we improve?  How does it
> rate against the umpteen Linux flavours?
>
> I'm not sure that this classifies as an architectual discussion (for now)
> so if you feel its appropriate please feel free to redirect to ports@.
>
> Cheers,
> -Dan

A while back I heard some 'rumours' (oh boy, rumours...) that FreeBSD
was either going to switch to OpenPackages or to a new XML-based system.
This was around the same time jkh posted something on the subject of
ports or sysinstall or in that direction. In any case, OpenPackages has
lost wind for now, though I've been told they just need someone to pick
up the slack and get everyone rolling again.

As for our current ports system, many people (including me, though I'm
by no means an expert on the subject) feel that it's very limiting and
has some substantial flaws (concept is great, implementation is
lacking). Most of these come up when you're porting an app and you need
to make some ugly hacks for stuff to work the way you want it to. Also,
looking at the 'big picture', a few other concerns come up.

I'm sure some other people have more concrete things to say.

--
Munish Chopra     The FreeBSD NVIDIA Driver Initiative
                  http://nvidia.netexplorer.org