Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2015 00:43:20 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>
To:        Karlis Laivins <karlis.laivins@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing Congestion Control Algorithms

--wjoFZxbW4tu+iR6v

On 04/23/15 at 10:17P, Karlis Laivins wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I am currently working on a modification of TCP NewReno congestion control
> algorithm. It seems that I have been able to write a working module.
>=20
> Now, I am looking for a way to test the performance of the built-in
> congestion control algorithms and the new algorithm. I have heard about t=
he
> NS-2 simulator, and I am trying to compile and configure it now, but that=
's
> just a statistical tool (from what I hear) and the results are far from
> reality (please correct me, if I am wrong).
>=20
> Please recommend a tool or way I can test the performance of the congesti=
on
> control algorithm in a "real" environment (sender side - 2 Computers, one
> connected to the wireless network, other to a wire, receiver - one PC,
> running FTP server, both senders each sending a big file at the same time=
).
> I would like to get comparable performance results from each of the
> existing congestion control algorithm as well as the new one I have creat=
ed
> by modifying the NewReno algorithm.

Comparing performance of different cc algorithms might be tricky as they
are designed with different goals in mind.
I suggest you stick with your modified newreno vs original newreno and see =
if
your modifications are letting you do whatever that you have decided.

You may want to look at dummynet(4). This can be a useful read
http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/papers/20091201-dummynet.pdf

siftr(4) is a handy tool to have around to make sure your congestion
control module is behaving the way you want.

cheers,
Hiren

--wjoFZxbW4tu+iR6v

--wjoFZxbW4tu+iR6v--