Date:      02 Sep 1999 09:03:22 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade from v2.2.2

"Hal Menz" <kbmenz@choice.net> writes:

> We have version 2.2.2 installed. Not having any unix techs
> in house I am concerned about Y2K and upgrading to the
> newest version.
>
> Is there an upgrade procedure, or must the current system
> be saved, initialized, and re-loaded?
>
> Any easy way a non-techie could do this?
>
> I'm not sure what all issues concern our system, but I
> know we use cron and touch.

Touch and cron both have minor Y2K problems, as I assume you noted
from the appropriate web page.  Note that these are *not* killer bugs;
they're basically cosmetic and you could work around them if
necessary.  [I don't think FreeBSD 2.2.2 -- or any other version --
will fall over on January 1st.]

Updating occasionally is still a good idea, since Y2K isn't the only
kind of bug one should worry about.  If you're connected to the
Internet, this is particularly important.  See the handbook for how to
update, but the most promising approach for you is probably using the
"upgrade" option of the install disks.  You *should* back up your
system first to be safe, but you won't need to reinstall your own data
unless something goes wrong.

Be well.
        Lowell Gilbert