Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:47:58 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   [HEADS UP: PLEASE TEST] teaching net drivers about m_getcl()

Hi,

    Recently, m_getcl(how, type, flags) has been introduced to both HEAD
    and RELENG_4.  It does an all-or-nothing mbuf+cluster allocation in
    one shot.  Both the HEAD and RELENG_4 implementations are optimized
    in their own way (the implementations are totally different but the
    interface is identical).  Due to the optimizations, it is worthwhile
    to use the new interface for grouped all-or-nothing mbuf+cluster
    allocations whenever possible.

    I have started to teach a bunch of the net drivers sitting in
    src/sys/dev about this new interface.  A patch is up here:

    http://people.freebsd.org/~bmilekic/code/net.diff

    The patch is to -CURRENT, although bits of it may very cleanly apply
    to -STABLE as well.  I need both -STABLE and -CURRENT testers (of
    the SMP and non-SMP variety).  It's very important that people who
    use the drivers that the patch affects test this stuff.  PLEASE
    APPLY THIS AND TEST if you use one or more of the following:

    - dev/an
    - dev/ar
    - dev/awi
    - dev/bge
    - dev/cm
    - dev/cs
    - dev/ed
    - dev/em
    - dev/en
    - dev/ep
    - dev/fe
    - dev/fxp
    - dev/gem
    - dev/gx
    - dev/lmc
    - dev/lnc
    - dev/musycc
    - dev/my
    - dev/ray
    - dev/sbni
    - dev/sn
    - dev/sr
    - dev/tx
    - dev/txp
    - dev/usb/aue
    - dev/usb/cue
    - dev/usb/kue
    - dev/wi
    - dev/xe

    If you use any of that code, feel free to take the relevant bits
    from the patch above and apply them.  Let me know how things are
    going, specifically if everything is fine.

    You can send me Email in private to bmilekic@FreeBSD.org with the
    topic: "m_getcl() RESULTS"

    Please include: -CURRENT or -STABLE (the patches are only guaranteed
    to apply to -CURRENT), whether or not you're running a SMP kernel,
    what device this is for (from the list above), and any other
    info/comments you have.  This would be very appreciated.

    Thanks.

Regards,
--
Bosko Milekic * bmilekic@unixdaemons.com * bmilekic@FreeBSD.org